Monday, April 9, 2012

Austin's Palate Surgery

Well Austin made it through his palate surgery, and his post-op appointment will be this coming Thursday. The surgery was on Friday, March 23rd. He was exactly ten months that day. He has done really well; I am really amazed at how well he has handled everything. He really is such a tough little guy. Here are the pictures from the big day.
The night before the surgery he was such a happy camper! He had just learned to crawl the night before was really picking it up. He just had to show off his new skills before bedtime!
Both my Mom and my Grandma were able to come out to help us out with Jake. While Gary and I stayed in the hospital with Austin, Jake was spoiled with love by the two of them. It was nice to know that Jake was being taken care of while we were able to take care of Austin (who needed 24/7 attention).
Waiting for the surgery. He did pretty well waiting. He got fussy, because he was starving and super-tired. Amazingly, I was able to get him to fall asleep before the surgery, so when I handed him off, he was peaceful and resting.
Austin (in his little gown) and his Daddy. They came back for him around eight or eight thirty (I can't remember), and the surgery ended by eleven. It was a lot easier waiting this time, since Jake wasn't at the hospital with us. We still had to wait about 1 1/2- 2hours before we could see him, so we were very anxious when he finally came.
This is the first picture when they handed him to me. I think I bawled that entire first day. It's really hard to see your baby in pain. The string in his mouth was actually pierced through his tongue. They do this to all the babies; in case they have trouble breathing, you were supposed to pull on the string so they don't choke. (Luckily we didn't have to pull on it). We'll have to tell Austin when he's older that he used to have a tongue piercing!
On Saturday, a clown came by to visit. Just before she came in, Austin was so upset. When she walked in he hushed and just starred at her. It was sweet. She left him a sticker, and oh boy did that sticker keep him entertained for a long time afterwards. Gary even got him to laugh when he put the sticker on his nose!
It was nice that he still had many happy moments in the hospital, and we were able to catch some on camera. (Usually this happened after the drugs kicked in!)
The arm bands are to be worn so he won't put his hands/toys into his mouth and cause damage. He has to where them for three weeks total. Luckily this week is the final week. It was really cute, the day after the surgery, he figured out how to crawl with those things on! He had just learned how to crawl a few days before. I guess he didn't want to be forced to slow down!
They removed the IV and other monitors Saturday evening, so we took him on a wagon ride through the hospital to get out of the room! He loved it, but was ready to be done by the end.
Grandma (my mom) came to help us get our stuff to the car on Sunday afternoon. She just couldn't help but to snuggle with that cutie!
We finally were able to check out of the hospital on Sunday afternoon. We were very ready to be back in our own beds, and to be with Jake again. Thanks again to Mom and Grandma for coming to help us out during this extremely stressful time. We love you!

8 comments:

  1. We are so thrilled that the surgery went well. You are so strong to be able to do these for your little guy. I cry just reading the posts and seeing the pictures! One more down right? Ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Austin is such a trooper. It melts our hearts and we feel his pain as we look at the photo of him right after the surgery. We're so glad his recovery is going well. We love you all so much. He's so beautiful. Talk with you soon. Love Mom Monson

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so happy that his surgery went well! You guys are amazing, I can't imagine what it's like going through that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the update. I hope he continues to heal. I cannot imagine how hard it must be to see your child go through all that. I'm glad your mom was able to be there for you! What a blessing. I hope things are still going well for you and that they will just get better! Your boys are such sweet ones!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Aubrey!! This post just made me cry!! Austin is such a little sweetheart!! I am so so so happy everything went well, and that your mom and Grandma could be there to help out and give you guys support.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a sweetheart. Aubs you and Gary and doing an awesome job with your two boys. I just love you girlie! So glad the surgery went well and that Mom and Grandma could come and help. How fun for Jake!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I'm so happy to hear Austin's surgery went well. That palate surgery is going to make such a huge difference for him. He is one tough little guy, and look at how happy he is in the pictures after surgery. I couldn't stop smiling over that one of him still crawling with his arms all stretched out. What a stud. Aubrey, you and Gary are seriously amazing. You are such great parents, and have two of the cutest boys around. Love and miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad it went so well, and that he and you were troopers!

    ReplyDelete