Tuesday, October 4, 2011

The First Surgery.

We have now experienced the first of many surgeries. My heart has hurt so much in the last few days, and I have been overwhelmed with many emotions. I want to thank everyone for comments, calls, and prayers. We appreciate the support of our wonderful family and friends; we love all of you. Here are a few pictures to update you on Austin.



Our family the day before the surgery.



I'm going to miss that HUGE grin. We have felt many bitter-sweet feelings these past few days, and this is one of them.


Waiting for surgery to begin. We were wating for two hours before they even called him back.



Mommy and Austin. (He's in his little hospital gown).



We said our goodbyes, and Jake even dished out a kiss for his little brother. What a sweet moment to remember!



Here is the after shot. We had been with Austin for about ten minutes when this was taken. He was still very out of it. (His poor little face is swollen).



Here's another angle of his face.



This was the next day. He has started taking his tongue and moving it around in his mouth. I'm sure he's wondering "What's going on? Something's different."



My two boys getting ready to come home. (He's stuck in those arm restraints for two weeks. He's having the hardest time being stuck in those).



On our way home in new pjs! We made it through the hospital, now wish us luck helping him recover. It was a LONG night in the hospital, and I'm sure it will be a similar week. Wish us luck, or say a prayer or two (we'll need it)!

11 comments:

  1. So many thoughts and prayers coming your way! I'm crying for you. I can't imagine how hard it is for you guys to see Austin be in pain. I hope his recovery goes quickly. You are all amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh we love you! You are in our thoughts and prayers. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have kept you in our every prayer and know that this must be an emotional roller coaster for all of you. We wish we could be there to help you. Know that we are thinking of you every minute. The boy's are darling in the pictures as always. You all look great. We love you so much. We will continue to keep you in our prayers. Love, MOM

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bless his sweet little heart!!! Aubrey, your darling family has been in my families prayers this last week! I'm so glad everything went well and I can't even imagine what you are going through as the mother! We love you guys and we will keep praying you!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aubrey, you are truly an angel. I've been thinking about you and your sweet family so much lately. You will continue to be in my thoughts and prayers like always. I just died over that picture of Jake giving Austin a good luck kiss. What sweetness and love you have in your family. I'm so happy to hear that the first surgery went well, Austin already looks so good. I can't even imagine what you're going through, but I know you're in good hands. Sending hugs, prayers, thoughts, and love your way, and wishing Austin a speedy recovery. Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, the poor little guy. You know you are doing the right thing for him no matter how hard it is for you. We will keep you in our prayers for a speedy and happy recovery. Good luck with the surgeries to come. We love you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh, I'm speechless! I can't imagine what this must all be like for you. And I just can't believe what your little guy has to go through! It seems so bittersweet because the huge smile he has had is how you've known him and how you've fallen in love with him and it was so darn cute! And now he already looks so different! (And of course still so darn cute!~You really do have the cutest boys!) I am absolutely amazed with what doctors can do. I just hope that he isn't in too much pain as he recovers. I am so glad to see this update. Thank you so much for thinking of all of us who want to know about this when I am sure you guys are more than busy with all you have to do. I hope Jake is doing OK with all of these adjustments. What a sweet brother. That picture of him kissing Austin is priceless! Love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sending you all our love, thoughts and prayers for your sweet family.
    We Love you!
    The Hoopers

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are an amazing mom! Thanks for updating, I have been checking a few times each day. And have thought lots about you and your family. Our prayers will continue to be with you as you go through recovery.
    He looks so cute! The arms restraints look like a lot of fun...

    ReplyDelete
  10. My heart is full of emotions just reading this. My prayers are with you, and I'm glad the first surgery went so well. Austin looks like a big little trooper--I'm sure he'll continue to do well. Hugs and prayers your way!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know how bittersweet that moment can be. It is so hard to see your little boy have to go through any kind of surgery. He seriously looks amazing! They did a wonderful job. I remember a nurse, who was very well-meaning, said to Carson before the surgery something along the lines of "we're going to make you handsome," and the defensive mother-bear in me jumped in and said, "You mean MORE handsome." I think Austin is such a cutie, and I hope the recovery goes well. I know it is such a physically and emotionally exhausting time for the parents. Be sure to treat yourself to ice cream or something fun for all of you when it starts to feel too hard!

    ReplyDelete