Friday, June 17, 2011

Update on Austin.

Well, this week we were able to go to two different Cleft lip/palate teams to determine which one would be best for Austin. We have decided to go to the team in Jackson, MS. We were able to meet with many wonderful people there, and all of them seemed to be very knowledgeable in what they do. We were very impressed with everyone. The plastic surgeon there is Dr. Angel. He was a nice guy, but most importantly, he was an experienced doctor and highly trained in what he does. He showed us some pictures of children that he had worked on that had a similar cleft to Austin, and they looked wonderful! He does things a little different than the "standard" procedures. He will be doing the first surgery at about two months of age. (The surgery date it August 1st). He first does a partial lip repair, where he tries to adjust the tissue so it will stretch where it is supposed to be. He will then go in for another surgery where he will finish off the lip. At about 10-12 months, he will do a palate surgery, and depending on Austin's situation there could be more surgeries there, but he said he likes to be done will all surgeries by about 15 months. There will be another surgery when he is about seven or eight; they will have to do a bone graft from his hip and place it in the palate, so his permanente teeth have bone to attach to. There also might be more surgeries with the palate if he is having problems with speech. The speech therepists can determine if it is a surgical thing or a learned thing, then determine what needs to be done to correct the speech problems. We feel really good about our decision to take Austin to this team. We know they will take care of our little guy, and we are so grateful that things are now moving forward and we can begin soon to help our little Austin. We love all of you and are so grateful for everyone's support and prayers throughout this time. We are blessed to have such wonderful and supportive family and friends.

8 comments:

  1. I am so glad to hear that you found a team of doctors who you feel comfortable with. You will have to keep us updated as to when you go to the hospital so that we can keep him in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like such a great team!! I love that his name is Dr. Angel :) How perfect is that???? It sounds like he is in good hands... keep us posted on everything!! Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know with Blakes surgery, it felt so nice to have a plan and doctors we felt good about. I'm so glad you found yours! It sounds like a great team. It's comforting to know they have done it before and they are confident. It helps you get through everything. We will keep you in our prayers. Hope you are recovering well too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so great that you have found a team that you feel so comfortable with! We will certainly keep your family in our prayers. I wish you all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad to hear that you guys are doing well. This is such a special trial that Heavenly Father knew you were strong enough to handle and this little guy I am sure will bring you so much joy in return. David's sister has a daughter who was born with a cleft lip and palette and she is now a senior. She was just up her a couple weeks ago from St. George to get one of her final surgeries. She has been strong through this all and while it has been a trial for her as well as her parents I never hear any of them complain. Through your faith and prayers you will continue to be guided through what lies ahead. It is so amazing what doctors can accomplish these days. I wish you all the best and our congrats! Love, Heather (Monson) Fernelius

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's great you've been able to find a doctor you're happy about. I'm sure he'll do a great job. It really is amazing what modern medicine is able to do. I wish you the best with all the upcoming surgeries and will be thinking of you guys on Aug. 1!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That must feel like such a relief to you guys to finally have a path to follow! I am so glad you found someone who has knowledge and a good plan for you. I hope you continue to feel everyone's prayers and faith in your behalf. We all love you guys and wish so much we could do more to help! Take care! Hope all goes well for you guys, and I hope Jacob is getting more used to the idea of being a big brother! I'll look forward to some more pictures of the two of them!
    (And blogger is being weird again so if it doesn't post my name, this message is from Emily Harkness)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for such a wonderful visit. We loved the time we had with your family. Austin is such a beautiful boy. The two brothers are going to be a couple of heart breakers. We are with you all the way in the challenges ahead. We love you guys. We can get through whatever it takes to make things the best they can be. Love Mom

    ReplyDelete